Saturday, August 11, 2012
Did Mayor Landrieu Just Say Chief Serpas Knows Jack About Reducing Murders?
The title of this CBS piece, "New Orleans Mayor Fights to End Culture of Violence," is the exact opposite of what I heard Mayor Landrieu say in this interview, which was that no one IN THE WHOLE ENTIRE COUNTRY knows how to stem the epidemic of young black males killing each other here in New Orleans.
Based upon my grasp of the English language, population statistics, Venn diagrams, and if not A then not B logic, "Nobody in the Country" includes Landrieu's Police Chief Ronal Serpas. So why did he hire this guy?
Other cities have brought down their black-on-black murder rates, so SOMEBODY SOMEwhere must know SOMEthing about how to do this. Right?
UPDATED 8/14/12:This seems like a far cry from nobody knowing what to do: http://publicspherenola.blogspot.com/2012/08/crime-prevention-in-new-orleans-value.html
Hanging on for Dear Life: Katrina Survivors" Daily Struggle to Live
- The representative of the neighborhood "Lakeview" (an upper middle class mostly white neighborhood of NOLA) just told a story that will stay with me for the rest of my life. She told the story of 2 volunteers from Boston, a mother and a 9 year old daughter. After a week of working, the daughter turned to the mother and asked her when they would be returning to America. The lady representative broke down into tears and asked the senate panel the same question. When will we be returning to America?
- 2005 homeowners insurance: $1926... 2006 homeowners insurance: $2343... 2007 homeowners insurance bill: $4599
- That ain't shit. 2005 Farmers: $2400 / 2006 Farmers: $4000 / 2007 Farmers: $11,000
- "I hope the levees break again and kill you."
- The average cost for a 2,000-square-foot home has jumped, probably, to the $80,000 range just for foundation work