The HIV/AIDS Atlas found that 80 percent of U.S. cases are clustered in 20 percent of counties...
A random sampling of the 20 percent of counties with the highest HIV rates include: Marin and San Francisco counties, Calif; Miami-Dade county, Fla; Bronx, Queens and New York (Manhattan) counties, New York City; Richland (Columbia), S.C.; Orleans (New Orleans), La; Butts, Clayton and Dekalb counties (Atlanta), Ga; New Haven and Hartford counties, Conn; Multnomah (Portland) Ore; and Denver (Denver) Colo.
Monday, June 22, 2009
Wrap It Up, People!
I realize it's been a busy news day, but I would hope news this important is picked up by the local media SOON.
Hanging on for Dear Life: Katrina Survivors" Daily Struggle to Live
- The representative of the neighborhood "Lakeview" (an upper middle class mostly white neighborhood of NOLA) just told a story that will stay with me for the rest of my life. She told the story of 2 volunteers from Boston, a mother and a 9 year old daughter. After a week of working, the daughter turned to the mother and asked her when they would be returning to America. The lady representative broke down into tears and asked the senate panel the same question. When will we be returning to America?
- 2005 homeowners insurance: $1926... 2006 homeowners insurance: $2343... 2007 homeowners insurance bill: $4599
- That ain't shit. 2005 Farmers: $2400 / 2006 Farmers: $4000 / 2007 Farmers: $11,000
- "I hope the levees break again and kill you."
- The average cost for a 2,000-square-foot home has jumped, probably, to the $80,000 range just for foundation work