Friday, November 16, 2007
Saturday, November 10, 2007
The average wedding in America, according to Bride's Magazine, costs $19,000.
Bouquets and other flowers, $775.
Photography, videography, $1,253.
Wedding favors, $240.
The music, $745.
Clergy and church, $248.
Limo rental, $427.
Attendant's gifts, $299.
Wedding rings, $1,000.
Engagement ring, $2,982.
Rehearsal dinner, $762.
Bride's wedding dress, $790.
Bride's headpiece and veil, $150.
Bride's attendant's apparel (if you have 5), $720.
Mother of the bride apparel, $198.
Groom's formal wear (rented), $100.
Formal wear for ushers and best man (if you have 5) rented, $400.
Reception for 186 guests (which is the average attendance at a wedding), $7,246.
This comes to a grand total of $18,874.
I wonder what else price-gouging insurance premiums are robbing us of. For the many families who can't afford $19,000 weddings, I imagine they're having to choose between shelter and much more basic provisions.
Thursday, November 08, 2007
Possibly even more horrible than living in a FEMA trailer; but nowhere near the stupid human catastrophe putting FEMA trailers for future constituents on unusable golf courses in her neighborhood would be.
Hanging on for Dear Life: Katrina Survivors" Daily Struggle to Live
- The representative of the neighborhood "Lakeview" (an upper middle class mostly white neighborhood of NOLA) just told a story that will stay with me for the rest of my life. She told the story of 2 volunteers from Boston, a mother and a 9 year old daughter. After a week of working, the daughter turned to the mother and asked her when they would be returning to America. The lady representative broke down into tears and asked the senate panel the same question. When will we be returning to America?
- 2005 homeowners insurance: $1926... 2006 homeowners insurance: $2343... 2007 homeowners insurance bill: $4599
- That ain't shit. 2005 Farmers: $2400 / 2006 Farmers: $4000 / 2007 Farmers: $11,000
- "I hope the levees break again and kill you."
- The average cost for a 2,000-square-foot home has jumped, probably, to the $80,000 range just for foundation work